Below are the current goals of UF/IFAS Extension and the Extension Administration Office. UF/IFAS is launching a long-range planning effort for Florida Extension. It is critical for Extension to reexamine programmatic priorities and teaching strategies.
We want to seek diverse viewpoints regarding the future of Florida. Listening sessions will be held at each of our 67 counties. Extension is calling upon clientele, stakeholders, community leaders, advisory committees and our county partners, to become involved in this process. For more information on this long-range planning effort, please visit the Florida Extension Long-Range Planning website.
For additional information about the goal and focus areas and for Extension faculty and staff contact information, please visit the PDEC Hierarchy page.
The following represent UF/IFAS Extension's statewide goals and focus areas for 2008 - 2012.
Goal I. Agriculture, Natural Resource and Food Systems
Enhance and maintain agricultural, natural resource, and food systems.
- Agricultural and Natural Resource Profitability and the Sustainable Use of Environmental Resources
Commodity Focus Areas
Agronomic Row Crops
Animal Sciences and Forages
Fruits and Vegetables
Small Farms and Alternative Enterprises
Sugarcane and Rice
- Awareness of Agriculture's and Natural Resources' Importance to an Economy that Ranges from Local to Global
- Processing, Distribution, Safety, and Security of Food Systems
- Protecting Florida from Existing and Emerging Pests and Diseases
- Bio-energy - Sustaining and Fueling Florida
Goal II. Florida's Environment
Maintain, conserve, and enhance Florida's natural environment.
- Water Resources
- Sustainable Use of Freshwater and Terestrial Ecosystems
- Environmental Education
- Sustainable Use of Coastal and Marine Ecosytems
- Climate Variability and Change
Goal III. Youth Development
Develop responsible and productive youth through 4-H and other youth programs.
- Life Skills Developed in Youth through Subject Matter Experiences
- Organizational Strategies and Learning Environments for Youth Programs
- Volunteer Development and Systems to Support Youth
Goal IV. Ornamentals, Turf and Sustainable Landscapes
Create and maintain resource efficient landscapes--the smart way to grow.
- Efficient and effective water use
- Sustainability and economic benefits
- Florida friendly landscaping and Master Gardener program
- Effective pest management
Goal V. Individual & Family Development
Promote individual, family, and community well-being and economic security.
- Personal and Family Well-being
- Personal Financial Education
- Health, Nutrition, and Food Safety
- Sustainable Housing and Home Environment
Goal VI. Sustainable Living
Maintain, enhance, and establish sustainable communities.
- Growth Management and Land Use Policy
- Citizen Engagement, Leadership, and Community Development
- Economic Development
Goal VII. Professional Development
Promote professional development to enhance organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Program Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Faculty Orientation and Career Training
- Effective Communication and Technology Use
- Administration and Leadership
- Back to Achievement